When it comes to buying a new horse, it pays to have a bit of knowledge about what really matters. It’s easy to get caught up in things that don’t really matter when making an investment of this size. First off, you will get a lot of benefit from making sure that you know exactly what you want from the horse itself. You could buy a horse that does not really suit your needs, or you could make an investment that does not really bare any long-term benefit to your stable.
For this reason, we recommend that you also try and spend some time deeply researching not only the horse, but the seller of said horse. When you buy a horse, you need to be able to trust the dealer as much as you can trust any other part of the sales experience. For that reason, you’ll get a lot of benefit out of looking at the various aspects of purchase, including:
- Look out for horses which are merely on loan being sold. Take the time to look into the horse and make sure that you are buying a horse which can be legitimately and genuinely purchased along the way.
- Look into things like the microchipping, too. Some people will try and sell you a house with more than one microchip, which you naturally wish to avoid.
- Also, look into how the horse is cared for. It’s not uncommon for a horse to arrive and it turns out that it has been treated poorly during the journey, or care standards are lacking in quality.
- Check out the passport of the horse, also. That might sound off, but many people wind up selling horses using the passport of another horse, which can be quite challenging to determine.
- How is the horse cared for or treated with? If a horse is being medicated, it might arrive in a condition that allows it to mask a dangerous or debilitating health condition. The more work that you can do to work that out before you make the investment.
A good way to see if a seller can be trusted is to make a reasonable request. Basically, you should try and make an effort to see if something could be changed about the journey or something to do with the process. A genuine seller will be happy to try and adjust to fit your needs.
The best way to buy a horse without any problems is usually to invest in buying from a proper horse dealership. This should make it easy for you to find top quality horses for sale that meets your needs and is also going to fall into a price point that you can afford.